LISTEN
When I ask you to listen to me and you start giving advice,
you have not done what I asked.
When I ask you to listen to me and you begin to tell me
why I should not feel that way,
you are trampling on my feelings.
When I ask you to listen to me and you feel you have to do
something to solve my problems,
you have failed me, strange as that may seem.
LISTEN! All I asked was that you listen.
Not talk, or do; just hear me.
Advice is cheap: A dollar and 50 cents will get you both Dear Abby and
Billy Graham in the same newspaper.
And I can do for myself; I'm not helpless.
Maybe discouraged and faltering, but not helpless.
When you do something for me that I can and need to do for
myself, you contribute to my fear and weakness.
But, when you accept as a simple fact that I do FEEL what I FEEL,
no matter how irrational, then I can quit trying to convince
you and get about the business of understanding what is
behind this irrational feeling... and when that is clear,
the answers are obvious and I don't need advice.
Irrational feelings make sense when we understand what is behind them
Perhaps that is why prayer works sometimes, for some people,
because God is mute and He doesn't give advice--or try to
fix things.
He/She just listens and lets you work it out for yourself.
So please listen and just hear ,e. And, if you want to talk,
wait a minute for your turn; and, I'll listen to you.
~(Author Unknown)
That was a poem given to me in my Honors Seminar (SW 444H) class, and I just think it applies nicely to a lot of times when people ask "Am I a good listener?". Just reading that will let you decide for yourself. The important thing, I think, is for the person who is asking someone to listen... that person needs to actually ask that. There can't be any assumptions, they need to say "Hey, do you mind listening for a bit?" and go into it, or something along those lines. Sometimes I'm very awkward with my dialogue. So please don't take my advice ever, just uh... think for yourself.
Haha alright I'm done for now
Sincerely,
Sean Edward Seamus Matthews
When I ask you to listen to me and you start giving advice,
you have not done what I asked.
When I ask you to listen to me and you begin to tell me
why I should not feel that way,
you are trampling on my feelings.
When I ask you to listen to me and you feel you have to do
something to solve my problems,
you have failed me, strange as that may seem.
LISTEN! All I asked was that you listen.
Not talk, or do; just hear me.
Advice is cheap: A dollar and 50 cents will get you both Dear Abby and
Billy Graham in the same newspaper.
And I can do for myself; I'm not helpless.
Maybe discouraged and faltering, but not helpless.
When you do something for me that I can and need to do for
myself, you contribute to my fear and weakness.
But, when you accept as a simple fact that I do FEEL what I FEEL,
no matter how irrational, then I can quit trying to convince
you and get about the business of understanding what is
behind this irrational feeling... and when that is clear,
the answers are obvious and I don't need advice.
Irrational feelings make sense when we understand what is behind them
Perhaps that is why prayer works sometimes, for some people,
because God is mute and He doesn't give advice--or try to
fix things.
He/She just listens and lets you work it out for yourself.
So please listen and just hear ,e. And, if you want to talk,
wait a minute for your turn; and, I'll listen to you.
~(Author Unknown)
That was a poem given to me in my Honors Seminar (SW 444H) class, and I just think it applies nicely to a lot of times when people ask "Am I a good listener?". Just reading that will let you decide for yourself. The important thing, I think, is for the person who is asking someone to listen... that person needs to actually ask that. There can't be any assumptions, they need to say "Hey, do you mind listening for a bit?" and go into it, or something along those lines. Sometimes I'm very awkward with my dialogue. So please don't take my advice ever, just uh... think for yourself.
Haha alright I'm done for now
Sincerely,
Sean Edward Seamus Matthews
2 comments:
"Irrational feelings make sense when we understand what is behind them"
Yes.
who's kpeezy?
Post a Comment