Sunday, April 6, 2008

Remember when?

I wasn't planning on typing another entry tonight, mostly because I had nothing large to say or think about, but as I was falling asleep (for the second time tonight) I randomly had this flashback memory.

Well, really, I was thinking about my house and how it's been renovated, and how my room used to look before it got changed. For one thing, the ceiling was basically raised from the flat 8 foot tall, 1x1 foot square tiles to a sloped ceiling that reached upwards of 12 feet (allowing us to put in a bunkbed). For another, the walls were changed from that fake wood slat stuff (basically vertical "slices" of a log, about 8 inches or more wide, with a small black bit of grout between them... looked like it belonged in a wood cabin up north) to a robin's egg blue plain wall... I liked the wood better. You could find faces in the knots :)

Another reason I'm explaining this is because this was/is a relatively large room... take your average college dorm-room (double), put two or three together... voilĂ . It was (is) large enough for 3 beds (Me and two of my brothers, Kevin and Chris), our dressers, and a desk for each of us. So we used to have it set up something like...

[Frustrated pause... I had just spent the past 8 minutes trying to make a rough architectural drawing using just type characters like |______| of the whole room set-up, with beds and everything... and then found that it doesn't translate with HTML... or this posting thing... which makes me frustrated that I'm not more computer literate so that I could easily amend the issue. okay, back to life]

ANYways, there were three beds spaced out along the wall. For some reason, I had this memory of my parents saying goodnight to us, tucking us in and going between each bed, separately kissing goodnight and quiet-talking to us, saying things like "Sleep well Seanny; see you in the morning; i am so proud of you today Seanny; I love you; etc. etc." Although, my dad never really ever called me Seanny, unless he was saying "Old weird Seanny" which he still does often... It was usually my mom to call me that.

But yeah, they'd start on the far end of the room (Chris' bed), come to mine, then walk around the bed again and go to Kevin. This was done with the lights turned off and just the light from the hall-way coming in. Basically, it was almost every night.

We also said prayers together, and usually sang a song or two, or sometimes we read a book (like this one about some guy who invented a huge hot-air-balloon house that went back in time, to the dinosaurs, with some kids... and there was a baby balloon attached to the larger one that they used for smaller expeditions... such a cool book, in my opinion.). My older brother and sister would usually join us for that, then, being the younger 3, we'd all go to bed shortly after saying prayers and mom and dad tucking us in.

I like memories like that. I also wish I could have done a little better job for you illuminating that moment in time for me. I know I could have, I'm a better writer than that. But for the moment, I just wanted you to relate... and if you can, cool, and if you can't, i'm sure you've got some good story to share of your own, so why not share it?

Good night y'all. Or good day, whenever you are reading this.

Leave a comment, let me know if you read this?

Forever, eternally, infinitely yours,

S34n

PsPs- Can I do that? two ps? no? sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read about half of this. I skipped the room description:P but I did read most.