Monday, May 5, 2008

The Blind

So's I was thinkin's today as I was walking from about Hamilton-Smith to HoCo (UNHers know that) of how I would be seeing things if I were blind. That seems to be pretty paradoxical, but really, in my mind's eye, how would things look? I've heard of people who are blind (*) getting corrective surgery, suddenly being able to see (Cornea replacements etc. etc.) and not liking it, in fact being slightly traumatized by the experience, because it's not what they saw in their mind, and they liked that better. I'd imagine, if you'd never seen before, how crazy that'd be as well... depth perception would be thrown off, you'd be overstimulated and the synapses in your brain wouldn't be used to firing in that way. Probably a long time to adjust.

Anyways, I think people who are blind (*) have a distinctly different perspective on the world. Tactile references would be huge (A blind person's touch would register a lot more detail than mine would) and they'd be big on textures. Also, I can imagine how it'd be walking past people as they were talking, not caring about how they look, just how they sound... are they happy? sad? Upset? Calm? High? Not talking?

Then I started thinking that they'd have a lot easier time not dealing with stereotypes.

That's all i have to say for now.

I almost wish I were blind, at least for a little while.

Does a person who is blind (*) throw snowballs?

~Sean

(*) = I had worded it as "blind people". Not being politically correct, per se, but Abby reminded me that using that wording makes it seem the inability to see defines the person. oh words and syntax.

1 comment:

arose263 said...

dear sean,
you need to use people first language. it's not a blind person it is a person who is blind. a disability does not define a person.